The final part of the Ten Tors Trilogy. I wrote this in late 2011 and early 2012 so since then it's gone through various levels of editing. It's probably the work I am most proud of, but unless you've done Ten Tors you may not feel the emotion in it.
The fellow competitors in the challenge could drive you to
suicide too, if you let them. I found that there were two classes of hikers on
the event. The first consisted of hikers from the schools surrounding Dartmoor,
people who walked two hundred and twenty-seven miles to school every morning,
people with names like Hugo Morcambe who did hiking for fun. These people were
purely in it for the competition. If you couldn’t win, why take part? Their
fathers spent thousands on first class education, and a team made of these lads
would make the A-Team look as manly as the Spice Girls. The other class I found
were those poor people who, given their own free will, would sit at home all
day and watch ‘Take Me Out’, ‘Big Brother’ and ‘Biggest Loser’ until they
themselves would have to enter one of those programmes. Probably the latter.
These lost souls had been forced into action by neglectful parents, thinking
that they could possibly make an honest person out of them by getting them to
drag their heels through the doldrums of Dartmoor. These people were easily
recognised by the Ghetto Blasters tied to the smallest member of the team,
usually playing a sprawling mix of dubstep and motivational anthems, namely
Chariots of Fire and Livin’ on a Prayer. Once the event was over, these sods
would never see the light of day again.
For the
event, I found myself in the last group. We had absolutely no clue what we had
signed up for. We didn’t know that the requirements of Ten Tors were hulk-sized
muscles, legs like a goat and usually a weakness to Kryptonite. We tried our
best; we gave our all, and suffered immensely for our troubles. My teammate
after the event had a blister the size of India, and a call centre was probably
the only option left for him after the challenge left him in a drooling
vegetative state. The event wasn’t what we expected, compared to the training.
The training was just a few walks up and down hills, no sweat and no effort
required. After a few seconds hard staring at Okehampton Camp, the base camp
holding over 5,000 participants, I realised that I would need to step up my
game if I didn’t want to end up just another army target. There were huge
brutes oiling their muscles and exchanging grimaces, there were the veterans
who had already done the event before and were recalling stories of past
misadventures on the moor. The army personnel were no less encouraging. The
Health and Safety managed briefed us on the dangers of the moor, the thousands
of possible causes of death, stories about Morgan who had been running the
event for seventeen years before getting lost in the moor and having to be
airlifted off with two limbs missing and the other two in the wrong places.
Credit to the man, recalling an ‘emotional’ story about his brother in arms had
everyone giggling the whole way through. His cheer extended through the weather
forecast- how we were all going to be drenched in fifteen feet of rainfall
while he was watching the rugby. The army never seemed to lose their charisma
from sending thousands of victims off to meet their ends.
However,
the hike was nothing it was made up to be. 21km of solid walking in the first
four hours without breaks, it’s true, wind on the tents so strong it reached 9
in the Richter Scale, the constant backdrop of helicopters airlifting the lucky
few away to drop out, but the rush of adrenaline in seeing the checkpoints
ticked off one by one, of seeing the finish line, of realising it wasn’t the
finish line and oh wait that’s the finish line, is something I’ll never forget.
I had beaten the thirteen teams and innumerable other contestants who had
dropped out, I had vaulted over treacherous bogs and had scrambled up vertical
hillsides on hands and knees. I had finished what I had started just half a
year ago with such grace that we got one of the best times possible, easily the
best time done by the group I had done it with. I had left Okehampton Camp on a
bleak Saturday morning- a tiny, moronic scared boy in fear of his life, and
returned to Anthony’s Stile, the finish, a man, with life in perspective and
one of the hardest challenges in the modern world under my belt.
Tom Bedford 25/09/2013 20:25
Tom Bedford 25/09/2013 20:25
No comments:
Post a Comment