03/10/2013

Hancock- A brief analysis of satire


I thought I'd branch out from creative writing to my own literature analysis. Literature meaning films. I may do another when I play GTA V.
I recently watched the film Hancock, a Will Smith superhero flick. It breezed under the radar and received fairly mild reviews, neither underwhelming nor re-defining films. However, to me the film symbolised something special. Now I have never been a huge superhero fan, preferring they show the superhero as a flawed individual, such as Jumper, where the protagonist’s first action is to rob a bank, or when the superhero is in fact just a human aiming to be something better, such as in Kick Ass or Super. I couldn’t recommend these films enough. But Hancock stood out to me as being something else, something I loved- a satire. I will briefly be examining the levels of satire presented, commenting on superhero films and the realities of what a superhero would actually act like. I should also point out that the satire in this film is very subtle. On surface level it is just another dumb action film, but shows signs of self-conscious decisions throughout.
            My first point of call is the protagonist of the tale. John Hancock is an alcoholic superhero who doesn’t appreciate his powers or those around him, causing huge damage when saving others. In his introduction it is shown he doesn’t take himself seriously, casually throwing around racist banter and Will Smith’s own brand of one-liners as he drops a car onto a building’s spire.
 This introduction is in stark contrast to the typical comic-book superhero, heroes meant to be part symbolic as they stand for justice and hope while fighting crime and evil-doers. They are paragons and idols for the audience to aspire to be. Now obviously, these ideals are in stark contradiction to usual human behaviour, and a superhero that conforms to usual human nature in proving self-destructive via drinking and antisocialism is a comedic poke at the typical assumptions that heroes are all heroic.
A humorous scene after Hancock decides to reform is his costume choice. Jason Bateman shows him three superhero comics. His response? ‘Homo… Blue homo… Norwegian homo.’ While the gay slurs may offend some in this hyper-PC age, the main focus is on the superhero costumes. His reaction connotes ridicule at the costumes which he is asked to wear. He comments on this later when he is forced to wear a costume ‘don’t stare… it’s a little tight’ commenting on the revealing nature of the costume.
This itself seems to be a dig at the odd costumes presented in superhero stories. Flimsy nylon costumes such as those worn by Spiderman have always been questioned as to their durability, function and overall appearance value, which co-writer Vince Gilligan obviously seemed to pick up on.
Most superhero films follow a similar structure- origins story for the first half, and then a super-villain is thrown in to give the tale some form of villain or tension. Audiences everywhere have commented on the way these always seemed forced in or thrown in out of the blue. Director Peter Burg obviously concurs, as there is no ‘main’ villain through the majority of the film. The only candidate that would seem suitable is a bank robber foiled by Hancock’s first post-prison rescue, who teams up with some of Hancock’s other victims to try and shoot him. His response? Throwing them all out of windows or into walls to incapacitate them. This comments both on the seemingly shoe-horned in ‘villain fights’ at the end of these films, and the synthetic tension of these fights that shouldn’t be there. I can only speculate if this is on purpose, but I picked up on it and therefore I can only assume I’m not the only one.
Now this is not a definitive list of satire in the film, but I’d really recommend checking out the film. Visual effects were fun, the comedy was top-notch and the soundtrack was simply phenomenal.
Tom Bedford is struggling because his back-catalogue has already been uploaded. 03/10/2013 20:59. Happy Birthday for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment